Police Officer I - Cimarron, NM
Open Until Filled
The Village of Cimarron Police Department is currently accepting applications for Police Officers.
Under the general direction of a Sergeant, a Police Officer I is a first line Police Department employee responsible for the maintenance of law and order within the village limits of Cimarron.
The Police Officer I is a primary responder to initial calls for assistance, of almost every type, from the public.
Examples of Work
. Acting within the confines of the law, enforce federal, state and local laws in an even handed and fair manner, without regard to race, creed, social standing, economic class, political or religious purpose.
. Interprets laws, their meaning and purpose.
. Patrols within the city limits and actively searches for violators of the law.
. Arrests violators of the law or gives "warnings" as appropriate to the circumstances according to general guidelines provided by superior officers.
. Investigates traffic accidents and reported violations of the law.
. Locates and interviews witnesses, collects evidence and writes detailed reports, accurately describing an incident or crime.
. Through patrol and other crime prevention programs, prevents the commission of crime.
. Looks for and anticipates potential public safety hazards, so that they may be eliminated or minimized.
. Performs routine patrol tasks such as business and residential security checks.
. Responds to emergencies and renders aid and assistance to victims; protects life and property.
. Responds to the public safety needs of the community and its citizens.
. Develops a rapport with other law enforcement officers that enhances the free flow of information and cooperation.
. Forms positive relations with the community that inspire voluntary cooperation and respect for the department's law enforcement and crime prevention programs.
. Performs related tasks as assigned.
- be a U.S. citizen
- possess a valid driver's license
- be at least 21 years of age
- possess a high school diploma or equivalent
- vision correctable to 20/20
- Must be able to learn and demonstrate working knowledge of federal, state and local laws as they pertain to the enforcement of the law;
- Must possess sound judgment and decision-making skills;
- Must be able to maintain personal composure during times of emergency or acute stress;
- Must have good communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Must have the ability to learn and utilize a variety of police techniques and methods;
- Must be able to make a commitment to the law enforcement profession, to the public health, safety, and welfare of the community;
- Must demonstrate self-motivation, good mental and physical condition;
- Must reside within, or be able to relocate to within, a five mile radius of Village limits;
- Must have good driving record, and either a New Mexico Driver's License, or the ability to get such license within 30 days;
- Law Enforcement training and certification is required for the Police Officer 1 position, such certification may be either New Mexico Certification, or another state with the ability to obtain New Mexico Certification by waiver within one year.
- oral interview
- drug screening test
- background investigation
- medical examination
- physical agility test
- psychological test
HOW TO APPLY
The Village of Cimarron is an equal opportunity employer, and offers a competitive benefits package. Pay rate shall be based on education, experience, and qualifications. Resumes may be sent in lieu of applications to: Chief Hugh Miller, Cimarron City Hall, P.O. Box 654, Cimarron, New Mexico 87714. Additionally, resumes may be submitted, and applications may be requested, by emailing the Clerk Administrator at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chief Hugh Miller
Cimarron Police Department
356B East 9th, P. O. Box 654
Cimarron, NM 87714
Return to the See Who Is Hiring page.